Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Week of 1/29-2/4 - Bread, Milk & Candles

The Week of 1/29-2/4
New Things:  Bread, Milk & Candles
Inspiration: St. Brigid, The Feast of The Presentation, Anniversaries
 
The only use I have for beer ;)
Reflection: Hi all! I am writing to you from sunny California where I am at a Stephen Ministry Leader Training. I'll write more about that in this week's post. But until then here is last weeks highlights of new things. This was a great week for trying new stuff! Here are three of my favorite new things:
 
St. Brigid
 The Feast of St. Brigid- February 1st was the Feast of St. Brigid: Patron Saint of things like Ireland, milkmaids, cows, beer, poets, birds, the printing press, and abused children. She has always been one of my favorites. You may remember the way we celebrated her fest last year found here. For this year's celebration, I made beer bread and a tasty milk drink made with cinnamon and honey to share with those at home and the office. Beer bread was a staple in my family growing up and was my grandfather's favorite. I thought that beer bread would be a good choice since she had a vision of a lake of beer that she, Jesus and Mary sat and drank by in heaven. The milk drink was inspired by a recipe found at my dear friend Rebecca's blog and was so very good. I chose this drink because Brigid was a milk-made herself and many of her miracles have to do with dairy products.It was a nice way to have fellowship with all those I love and work with while celebrating this amazing saint. 
 
The Presentation
The Feast of the Presentation- The 2nd was the Feast of the Presentation. It also has special personal meaning for me as it is the fourth anniversary of my Diaconal Ordination. I spent the day with moments of prayer, a special Candlemas Bible study with my class and had a candle lit by my Marian icon which was written for my by Gaby! 


Finally, we celebrated Delia's 4th Baptismal Anniversary! As you may remember, that day 4 years ago was pretty crazy. (Here is the account of that day from last year's post.) We lit her Baptismal candle, I anointed her head with oil, and got her a special pizza dinner to celebrate. An awesome week!

No comments:

Post a Comment