Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day Thirty Four- 2/3/11 Celebrating D.'s Baptismal Anniversary

Day Thirty Four: 2/3/11
New Thing: Celebrating D.'s Third Baptismal Anniversary   
Inspiration: D.
Cost: $0
Time: All Evening
Bottom Line: Giving thanks for three wonderful years of growing in Grace.

Lighting her Baptismal Candle

Delia on the big day three years ago! 
Reflection: Today we are celebrating the third anniversary of D.'s Baptism! This was a really huge weekend for our family three years ago.

We were still living in Connecticut at the time and D. was only a little over two months old. I had just started my last term at seminary and was still reeling from giving birth. A week before we left, I had to search through my entire wardrobe to find something that would fit--something between "no longer pregnant" and "not back to normal". We finally packed up our car to prepare for the five hour drive back to Pennsylvania. It turned out to be longer than that because we had to keep taking breaks to feed D. (who was still nursing every two hours) and to hold her to help her stop crying.

When we finally got into town and checked into our hotel, all Ken and I wanted to do was sleep. But that was not to be. D. has not now nor has she ever been a good sleeper. She was up all night crying and demanding that one of us walk her around the small room. I am not ashamed to admit, that she was not the only one who cried. It was like she was the littlest sleep deprivation torture master and she wanted some government secret from us. 

Trying out the bonnet that came with her Baptismal dress
The next day (Saturday) we made our way to the Cathedral for my Diaconal Ordination. We had just enough time for the rehearsal before D. needed to nurse again. That's when I discovered that I had had a huge run in my stocking all morning and my clergy collar kept coming undone.  Of course. On top of that, it was the first time that my parents had seen each other since their very recent divorce and my mother was violently ill (those two things were unrelated). However, I was really touched to have my whole family present and it turned out to be the last family event my grandmother could attend before her stroke. I will always be thankful for that. From what I remember, it was a very beautiful and moving service.

 Delia actually slept through her entire baptism. Notice how very tired I look. So very, very tiered.
Later in the evening we all attended a very nice dinner thrown by my mother-in-law Connie which was delicious, but was prolonging the inevitable--the non-sleeping bedtime that awaited us. It is hard to believe, but D. was even worse that night then she was the night before. There was one point when Ken and I were contemplating renting a second room so that we could sleep in shifts with the other person staying up with the baby. But, we did not have the money or the energy to put that plan into action, so we were delirious by the next morning.

By the time we arrived at Trinity, we were toast. I remember thinking that there was no way that we were going to make it all the way through--and then a miracle happened. D. fell asleep. And not just any sleep, a very deep sleep. D. NEVER fell asleep in public places because she was always way to interested in what was going on. But here she was, sleeping in my arms in church. I was in heaven. So asleep was she that she slept through the entire baptism, including having water poured on her head. As a Christian parent, I have never known a joy so profound as that moment. It is even more important to me then her actually birth. Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes remembering all the prayers and chants that we said and all the promises that we made on D.'s behalf and that God made to her. Despite all the exhaustion of that weekend, it was so worth it to witness my daughter being welcomed into the Christian family with a bound that is indissoluble and everlasting.




We let her drive us home since she had had the most rest .
After that holy moment, we had a scrumptious reception that the whole congregation was invited to and was also provided by the generous Connie and Randall. Since it had just been announced to the parish that I was coming back to them after my seminary graduation in a few months to be their new Curate, I was really happy to have this party and make a few friends with food! Then we made the long journey back to New Haven which took just as long as the trip down.

So, today we marked this occasion by lighting the candle that she was given that day which was lit from the Pascal Candle symbolizing the light of Christ. I told her the story of her baptism and let her have a special treat after dinner. I also sang her the hymns that we sang at that service at bedtime.  Mostly, I have been giving thanks to God for the joy it is to help raise this child in faith and love. And then I put her to bed, because even the memory of this wore me out.

Our little Light with her Light of Christ

4 comments:

  1. This was both touching and very funny. Godbless D and the whole family. Love you, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than one comment:

    1) I always cry at baptism's
    "you are sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked as Christ's own for ever." gets me every time.

    2) I was there three years ago as a witness to the entire weekend. I was in awe of how you could give birth while finishing seminary and have an ordination and baptism on the same weekend! After the birth of my amazing first child I was lucky to get a shower before noon. I do remember how ill Debbie was. We still talk about the Connie/Randall reception. I even sort of remember that Delia slept during her baptism. I DO NOT remember that you looked anything like the woman in this picture! You were radiant, absolutely beautiful and gracious as always you were not and never have been toast. I am going to pretend that I am on the jury and have been instructed to forget I ever say that picture because I like the picture in my memory ever so much better.

    3) We had many a sleepless night in hotels over the years with crying babies-sometimes more than one! We never even thought about getting a second room so that we could take turns sleeping. Here is my promise to you, if that ever happens again with Delia or her siblings, GET THE ROOM. Send me the bill or call me and I'll give them my credit card number over the phone. I insist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful post...
    this is making me super excited.,,
    my, delia was such a CUTE baby, no surprise..
    and you look beautiful, mama:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are all so awesome!! thank you, and Mama T, I will definitely take you up on your room offer!

    ReplyDelete