Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 350: 12/17/13- Full Moon Yoga Day

Day 350: 12/17/13- Full Moon Yoga Day 
New Thing: Full Moon Yoga Day      
Inspiration: Yoga, Moon Day, Amy
Time: About 30 mins.
Bottom Line: Seeking balance

Revolved half moon
Reflection: As you know, I am endeavoring on a great journey to become a yoga teacher. The training has been amazing so far and I am so excited about where it will lead. On of the things that we are encouraged to do is to learn more about the yogi lifestyle on our own as part of our education. One of the topics I have been looking into are "moon days." Here is Yoga Journal's explanation: 

You may be familiar with the caution "Avoid practicing yoga on the full or new moon!" This tradition of observing "moon days" stems from the belief in the Ashtanga system that practicing at either extreme of the lunar cycle leaves you vulnerable to injury. One theory is that because the body consists mainly of water, you are affected, like the ocean's tides, by the moon: On full-moon days the pull of the moon is so strong that your prana (life force) moves upward, leaving you feeling headstrong and liable to push yourself beyond your limits; on new-moon days, the pull of the moon is so diminished that you find yourself lacking motivation. The ultimate time to practice, then, is during the middle of the lunar cycle, when the moon is a half circle and your prana is balanced. 

Typically, you are not to practice on full or new moon days, but today, I was feeling especially tight and decided to try yoga journal's abbreviated series of themes and variation of "half moon" pose found here. It was just the light practice I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment