Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 46: 2/15/13- Make A Lenten Prayer Garden

Day 46: 2/15/13- Make A Lenten Prayer Garden    
New Thing- Make a Lenten Garden    
Inspiration: Lent, Prayer Partner, Ali, Isaiah 58:11         
Time: About a half hour                              
Bottom Line: An oasis in the desert 


Reflection: Part of the Ash Wednesday service included a reading from Isaiah. One of the lines that spoke to me the most was Isaiah 58:11 which reads:

 The Lord will guide you continually,
   and satisfy your needs in parched places,
   and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
   like a spring of water,
   whose waters never fail.

I immediately began to think about how amazing it is that God offers us a garden just as we enter into this desert time that is Lent. So, I decided to take that vision and turn it into a tangible prayer by making a little garden out of desert plants. I also wanted to make one for my prayer partner in a terrarium style, so I went over to a local florist to get a lesson in how to make one. D. and I were helped by a really lovely woman who taught us a ton about succulents and the art of plant placement.


They were not only wonderfully meditative to make but I also loved having mine during my prayer time as a reminder of the oasis that God's love is.

I also had a really sweet moment yesterday when I was able to bless one of St. David's two year old's on her birthday, Little A. and her Mom shaped this sweet pic. It was just one of those moments that makes this job so great! Just wanted to share the joy ;)

Her little sheep got in on the blessing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment