Day 279: 10/7/11
New Thing: Finish First Week at Drew and In Cold Blood
Inspiration: Drew, Book Club New Thing: Finish First Week at Drew and In Cold Blood
Cost: $0
Time: About 15 hours in the car
Bottom Line: Great Week and Great Book
Reflection: What a week this has been! I have loved my time at Drew and I am really happy to be going forward with this DMin project. I am still nervous about it, but I also have a new found sense of dedication for this work. Part of this excitement is due to my fantastic classmates who are a very ecumenical group. Talking about sacraments with Pentecostals, Baptists, Lutherans, Roman Catholics, Methodist, Evangelicals, Moravian, UCC, Congregationalist, Presbyterians and other Episcopalians all in one room is something I haven't done in a few years and it was moving to see how dear we all hold these precious signs of grace in our own ways.
On top of all that, I have been using the rather long drive back-and-forth to school each day as a time to listen to my book club's latest choice: Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. It is no wonder that this book became a classic being so ahead of its time. The sheer depth of Capote's research was astounding and the book seamlessly flowed from horror and suspense to psychological case study, to history and sociology all at the same time. I have to admit, the story did story to spook me out a little bit when I would be driving home from NJ in the dark.

No comments:
Post a Comment