Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Day 259: 9/17/13- Court Tennis & Yoga Teacher Training

Day 259: 9/17/13- Court Tennis & Yoga Teacher Training       
New Thing: Visit a Court Tennis Court and Start Yoga Teacher Training 
Inspiration: Frank, Matt and Amy                  
Time: Several hours over the day       
Bottom Line: Sports, culture and mysticism combine 



Reflection: I had a great day today! After staff meeting, we headed down to see Matt give a great speech for the Episcopal Club at The Historic Racquet Club of Philadelphia. He did a great job! Following that, we went upstairs to see the "Court Tennis" courts which were really cool. Here is the description from the website: 

COURT TENNIS
What the British call "tennis" (also known to them as real tennis or royal tennis) is labeled "court tennis" in the United States. Virtually unknown in this country, court tennis is played by approximately one thousand men and women on only ten courts. Court tennis was the game of Napoleon, Henry VIII, and many other European monarchs; it was played in the Louvre and at Versailles, and is mentioned in literature more than any other sport. Like lawn tennis, court tennis is played by two contestants (four in doubles) with racquets and balls on a court divided by a sagging net, and the scoring is virtually the same in the two games. The court is an indoor, four-walled structure of concrete. There are numerous openings in the walls, and a "penthouse" (or roofed shed) which runs along one sidewall and both end walls. 

We didn't actually get to play a game, but I really hope to since it was very cool!

In the evening, I started one of my life's goals, yoga teacher training! This is a 200 hour certification and I am so thrilled to be starting this journey. Not only do I hope that my personal practice will grow, but I hope to help others learn how to pray in this style that I have grown to love. Also, Amy is an awesome teacher! You will be hearing alot more about all this in the months to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment