Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 260: 9/18/13- Coffee Shop Invitation Ministry

Day 260: 9/18/13- Coffee Shop Invitation Ministry
New Thing: Coffee Shop Invitation Ministry
Inspiration: "Zombie Church" Video & Prayer 
Time: An hour and a half 
Bottom Line: Coffee and Convo.

My table accoutrements
Reflection: A few weeks ago, an online video made by Scott Gunn of Forward Movement called "Zombie Churches" was making the rounds on many of my clergy friend's facebook pages. Here is the link. The video gave a pretty clear description of the difference between what a dying/dead church looks like verses a vibrant and alive one. 

While I am happy to say that St. David's has many of the markers of an "alive" church, I was still convicted on a few of his points. Most notably the idea that in a zombie church, clergy spend most of their time caring for their members only and not for people who are outside the parish rolls. I would say that much of my ministry could fall into that latter category. So, I took it to God in prayer asking Him how he thought I could be more willing to take care of all his people and not just the ones who are easily within reach. 

Well, God answered. Like right away. That almost never happens. I suddenly had an answer of, "spend at least an hour or two at the local Starbucks being open for any conversation that comes your way." 

So, today I started living out that call and went to Starbucks with the above little sign and my most inviting smile. 

I certainly got a lot of weird looks and polite "oh, I really wasn't trying to make eye contact with you, crazy person, so I am now going to look away" kind of facial gestures. But I also had an amazing conversation with a traveler who was many states away from his home and looking for encouragement. He also told me about what his church was doing in Discipleship (which is exactly what I am working on right now!). There were a few other shorter conversations, but I spent the rest of the time praying for the people around me hoping that God would be with them that day. I have to say, I think I am really going to like this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment