Day 251: 9/9/11
New Thing: Make Ice-cream, Re-Learn How to Knit, and Split an Apple with my Bare Hands!
Inspiration: Ellyn & Andrew New Thing: Make Ice-cream, Re-Learn How to Knit, and Split an Apple with my Bare Hands!
Cost: $0 (Thanks, Guys!)
Time: About Two Hours
Bottom Line: Tastes like victory!
![]() |
| How beautiful is this?! It tasted even better then it looks. |
Reflection: Another Ellyn post??!! I must really like her, or something! Today I had the pleasure of spending a few hours at the home of Ellyn and DJARM18 where they treated me to a few of their mad skillz (spelled with a "z" to denote just how cool their skills are). I learned:
- How to split an apple with my bare hands! I first saw Ellyn do this trick a few years ago and thought it was magic. I was almost unable to do it, but when it finally cracked in half and I tasted that apple, it was like biting into victory.
- How to make homemade ice-cream! Andrew is a pro at this and he and I made up a new flavor--vanilla mint. We used some mint extract that I made from the organic Mennonite mint I planted in the beginning of the season (see Day 100 for more details). It was some of the best ice-cream i have ever had.
- Re-learn how to knit! I tried knitting 3 years ago when I was pregnant with Delia and really did not love it. However, Ellyn was an awesome teacher and I think I have more patience now. She also taught me the value of completely taking out all the work you just did to start over. This is a "letting go" technique that I will have to get use to.
| Here is the mint extract being held next to the whirling ice-cream churn. Heaven. |

Ok, so.... why were you not at the Prayer Shawl Gathering at the Cathedral this a.m., needles in hand, to support the cause?????
ReplyDeleteAnd why is there a photo of ice cream and not of your first few rows?????