Day 272: 9/30/11
New Thing: Create a Family Coat of Arms
Inspiration: The Rainings
Cost: $0
Time: About 30 minuets
Bottom Line: Wish I could show it to you all!
 |
| A little something for my fellow Arrested Development fans. |
Reflection: When Ken and I were married, we decided to change our last names together. It was really important to us that we have a family last name in common and we didn't like the idea that only one person should have to take on a new identity. Since we see marriage as the creation of a new union--one where once two stood--it seemed incredibly fitting to put a new name to this entity. When people in the Bible entered into a new relationship with God, they would sometimes have their named changed to symbolize this new covenant (like Abraham and Sarah or Paul). Likewise, we were making a new covenant with each-other and God and taking a new name together has really helped us live into that. Rain has a very spiritual connection for us and "Raining" is also a pretty good combination of our previous last names. Thus, "Raining" was a perfect fit for us. I honestly feel like this has helped to ground us as a family and I love that Delia is the first little Raining.
However, one of the downsides to this is that we do not have some of the traditional historical links that some families do such as a family crest. So, tonight, Ken and I made one on line at this website:
http://www.makeyourcoatofarms.com/app.asp. I wasn't able to save it to show it to you all, but here are some of the discriptions:
- Motto: God is Our Strength
- Color: Purple (Our Wedding Color)
- Values: Faithful, Wise, Playful, Joyful
- Symbols: Celtic Cross, Holy Tree, Wings, Raindrop (if they had had one)
No comments:
Post a Comment