Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 66: 3/7/13- Seven Deadly Sins Week: Gluttony

Day 66: 3/7/13- Seven Deadly Sins Week: Gluttony         
New Thing- Full Fast & Visit from Jen!    
Inspiration: Lent     
Time: Sun-up to sun-down       
Bottom Line: "There is something in the red of a raspberry pie that looks as good to a man as the red in a sheep looks to a wolf." - Edgar Watson Howe 

Gluttony


Reflection: Continuing this week's reflection on the seven deadly sins, today's meditation was dealing with gluttony. Here is wikipedia's definition:

Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow, gluttony (Latin, gula) is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. In Christian religions, it is considered a sin because of the excessive desire for food, and its withholding from the needy. Because of these scripts, gluttony can be interpreted as selfishness; essentially placing concern with one's own interests above the well-being or interests of others.
  
During Lent, I do the "Daniel Fast" which is a partial fast, but today from sun-up to sun-down I only drank water to reflect on how many others in the world have no choice but to go hungry every day. I also reflected on other things that I over-consume that I could use less of. For example, I took a 5 minuet shower to save water and did not use any overhead lighting when ever I was alone to save energy. What I noticed right away was how casually I would reach for the lights or some food without even thinking about it. Waste is such a part of my every day consumption that I can normally am completely un-thoughtful about it. 

The day went well, but when the sun went down I totally feel off the wagon and glutton-ed out while at dinner with my friend Jen who was in from out of town. So, kind of a mixed bag here. Perhaps the lesson here is that moderation and consideration is the key to consuming in a Christian way. Or, perhaps I just need to learn more self control. Yeah, that's probably it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment