New Thing- Make an Ali Style Painting
Inspiration: The Seven Heavenly Virtues, Ali's Birthday day!
Time: ??
Bottom Line: Now we know who got all the talent in the family. And it was not me.
![]() |
| "Two Sister's in Flight" 3-18-12 Watercolors and Mixed Media |
Reflection: Today is my little sister's birthday! Ali is one of the most important people in my life and I love having her as a sister. It is also the day that I am reflecting on the heavenly virtues of kindness. Here is how wikipedis describes this grace which corresponds directly to the sin of envy:
Charity, compassion and friendship for its own sake. Empathy and trust without prejudice or resentment. Unselfish love and voluntary kindness without bias or spite. Having positive outlooks and cheerful demeanor; to inspire kindness in others.
To show my dear sis kindness, I was hoping to surprise her with dinner. However, the weather had other plans and dropped an ice storm on them. Instead, I decided to practice kindness as the opposite of envy by creating a piece of art in her style. Ali has an amazing talent that surpasses anything that I have ever mustered together and I confess to having some envy. Yet, by adopting some of her technique to make her a picture that is not only inspired by her work but also the mark she has made as my sister, I really felt closer to her and happy that she has brought this talent to the world.
Ali loves to incorporate natural elements in her work and often uses pictures of animals and birds from the Susquehanna River. So, for my panting, I started with a blue watercolor background. I then found pictures of a nest and two herons and decoupaged them onto the panting. Herons have been our bird since we took a river kayaking trip and had one fly guide us the whole way. The picture got a little cut off in the scanning to one of the herons looks like it is missing a beak.
It was a joy to make this gift inspired by Ali! I love you, Little Sis! Happy Birthday!
(don't worry I got you something else to. ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment