Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 80: 3/21/13- Seven Heavenly Virtues Week- Diligence

Day 80: 3/21/13- Seven Heavenly Virtues Week- Diligence                      
New Thing- Watch the Archbishop of Canterbury's Enthronement   
Inspiration: The Seven Heavenly Virtues, The ABC            
Time: Over an Hour                
Bottom Line:
"Christ uniquely comes as living love who liberates Holy Courage."- The Most Rev. Justin Welby 


The ABC knocking on the door of the cathedral

Reflection: Continuing with this week's striving to embody the seven heavenly virtues, today I contemplated the grace of diligence. Here is the wiki definition:
    
A zealous and careful nature in one's actions and work; decisive work ethic, steadfastness in belief, fortitude, and the capability of not giving up. Budgeting one's time; monitoring one's own activities to guard against laziness. Upholding one's convictions at all times, especially when no one else is watching (integrity). 

My original plan for this day was to attend the Diocese of Bethlehem's Chrism Mass and renew my ordination vows. After all, "diligence in appointed service" is something I pray for every day (see prayer from Foward Movment below). However, I had to change my plans and instead took some time to watch the Archbishop of Canterbury's EnthronementI am so glad I did since it was the perfect meditation for what it means to be not just a diligent worker in the church, but Christian in the world. One moment in particular captured that spirit for me. It was the very beginning when tradition dictates that the ABC Elect knocks on the door of the Cathedral to ask for permission to enter. He is then challenged as to his purpose for coming to this ministry. Traditionally, these challenging questions had been asked by the Dean of the Cathedral. But, in a move toward liturgical innovation, Justin chose to be challenged by a 17 year old young lay woman. It was beautiful. Here is the description: 

He struck the west door of Canterbury Cathedral three times with the end of his staff as he formally requested admission, before being greeted by 17-year-old Evangeline Kanagasooriam, who said: ‘We greet you in the name of Christ. Who are you and why do you request entry?’The Archbishop replied: ‘I am Justin, a servant of Jesus Christ, and I come as one seeking the grace of God, to travel with you
in his service together.’ Evangeline added: ‘Why have you been sent to us?’The Archbishop replied: ‘I am sent as Archbishop to serve you, to proclaim the love of Christ and with you to worship and love him with heart and soul, mind and strength.’ Evangeline went on to ask: ‘How do you come among us and with what confidence?’The Archbishop said: ‘I come knowing nothing except Jesus Christ and him crucified, and in weakness and fear and in much trembling.’Evangeline then said to him: ‘Let us then humble ourselves before God and together seek his mercy and strength.’The choir then struck up and the procession moved to the Nave Altar during the hymn.


I would recommend watching the video to see the moment in action. The whole thing gives me goosebumps. The fact that she is so young and a lay person and his humble answers really hits home the fact that our true calling is first and foremost to honor our God, to love and worship him. To follow Jesus and to live into our baptismal identities as his children. That is what we should be diligent to and all of the other obligations and duties of this life flow from that first love and truth. So, for the rest of the day, I tried to be diligent to my call as Christian first. This meant that I should spend longer in prayer and worship of Christ, to love God, be diligent in love and caring, and to always strive to seek God in this world and to make him known to others. As I was diligent to these things, everything else seemed to flow in a nature order and it was actually a more productive day then normal for me.

As they stood in the door way, the wind/Spirit blew all their vestments and her gown.
 Here were a few of my other favorite moments:
  •  Seeing The Rev. Dr. Jo Baily Wells serve as the first women Chaplin to the ABC. I have actually had several conversations with her when she was a professor at Duke. 
  • Seeing Our Presiding Bishop!
  • Wathing a little girl in the nave starting to dance as everyone applauded him. 
  • Joing with Christians all over the world to pray the Lord's Prayer in our own languages. (That actually made me tear up). 
  • Hearing his message about fearless livening in his sermon.  
  • Seeing him sign the Ecumenical Charter (another first)  
 I believe that Justin's model of a diligent servant of God was a true inspiration to me to day and I would ask God to continue to turn my heart to his service--first as a Christian then then in ever other way. 

Here is that prayer I mentioned that I pray every morning:

A Morning Resolve

I will try this day to live a simple, sincere and serene life, repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity, and self-seeking; cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy silence; exercising economy in expenditure, generosity in giving, carefulness in conversation, diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust, and a childlike faith in God.
In particular I will try to be faithful in those habits of prayer, work, study, physical exercise, eating, and sleep which I believe the Holy Spirit has shown me to be right.
And as I cannot in my own strength do this, nor even with a hope of success attempt it, I look to thee, O Lord God my Father, in Jesus my Savior, and ask for the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment