Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 181: 7/1/11- Tasmanian Water and Pork Candy

Day 181: 7/1/11
New Thing:
Tasmanian Water and Pork Candy
Inspiration: The Soup Kitchen
Cost: $0 (just a little piece of mind)
Time: About 10 seconds                 
Bottom Line: You never know what you will find in the SK.

Now you know this is out there. You are welcome.
Reflection: At Trinity, we have a very active Soup Kitchen which serves about 150 people daily. Every day, we have delicious, healthy meals which are really a treat and are also nutritionally full. It is a blessing--both to the people and community we serve and to those of us who work there.

One of the comical sides to this ministry are the random food finds that are sometimes brought back from the food pantry. There are times when suppliers have items which are not big sellers and they are passed on to agencies like us. And there have been some real winners. Last year, I found a can of bamboo (at least I think that it was bamboo--the label was written in Japaneses and had a panda on it. I suppose it could have been canned panda.), a can of turtle (not turtle soup mind you, just turtle), and my personal favorite; a frozen cow's tongue.

I did not try any of those. However, this is a different year, and I am on this mission to try new things when they present themselves. And they sure did today. As soon as I walked in, one of our employees, Jim, gave us with "pork candy" from the caravel he works at. This was essentially bacon fried in maple syrup. I only could manage one bite, but it didn't taste to bad. Next, I was presented with my own bottle of "Tasmanian Rain Water" to wash it down with. It was like any other sparkling water I have ever had, but with a funnier name. I didn't get sick, so I will count it as a win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment