Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 193: 7/13/11- Attempt to Teach Myself how to French-Braid

Day 193: 7/13/11
New Thing:
Attempt to Teach Myself how to French-Braid 
Inspiration: Mom 
Cost: $0
Time: ???                 
Bottom Line: I'll have to keep trying.

Not great!
Reflection:  Apparently, we are having a "things that children can do but Hillary cannot" themed week here at 365 Alive.  It started with attempting (and failing) to make paper Moravian Stars which Ellyn preceded to tell me her seven year old just learned how to make successfully. Nice.

For my next trick, I will be preforming the "learn to french braid" illusion.  I have never been able to french braid my own hair which is a shame because it really keeps it all held in one place nicely which can be hard with hair as ungodly thick as mine. My inability to braid is partially due to the fact that I can only make "inside-out" braids instead of the normal kind. This has proven to be a handicap in trying to french braid. Also, I was never really taught how to take normal braids up a notch. I did not have a braid mentor, as it were. My mother, who was probably the natural candidate for this position, was not the most skilled teacher in this craft. She used to part sections of my hair wielding a sharp spear-like object (I think it was called a "Topsy-tail") to try and part my unwieldy locks whenever I would beg her for a french braid (normally if I was going skiing or hiking). She would often fail to inspire confidence with mid-styling comments such as "well, that won't show", "huh--that's weird", "oops!" and "time to start over!" She would liberally apply bobby-pins which she seemed to think worked best when shoved directly into my skull. Finally, every braiding session would end with the same declaration of "Well, I think we are going to just end it right here," the moment she reached the nape of my neck as though it were a surprise that she was not finishing the braid. So, no, I never learned how to do this. As you can see by my attempts, I still haven't. However, this was definitely the closest I have ever come. Yet, still so far!

Not so bad from the front. I'll try not to turn around.

No comments:

Post a Comment