Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day Eight-Eight- 3/29/11 Origami

Day Eighty-Eight: 3/29/11
New Thing: Origami       
Inspiration: Ali      
Cost: $0
Time: About 10 mins.              
Bottom Line: Who knew folding paper could be this much fun?

The Penguin modeling the Helmet
Reflection: My sister and brother-in-law had the most amazing wedding I have ever been to. To truly glean how visionary and artistic this event was, you need look no further then the very theme itself: It was an "Asian-Blue Grass-Fusion" extravaganza. Now, one might read that theme and cry, "NO! Such a wedding is far to ambitious- it simply cannot be done by mere mortals!" To which I would say, "Perhaps you are right. But you forget one very important thing, my friend; Ali and Doug are no mere mortals." It was beautiful. The whole room looked like an art exhibit of the Ming Dynasty that you could still kick off your shoes and dance in. One of the elements that made it so enchanting were the 1,000 (you read that correctly) origami paper cranes that Ali handmade by herself and hung from the ceiling. Feast your eyes on this:

To make this, she hung wine glasses and paper cranes from an old picture frame.
 

By the way, Doug made that archway. Don't you just hate these two?!
I could not actually wear this into battle.
So, I knew that at some point in this experiment, I would try my hand at some origami since she is she a pro at it. I tried two classic models: "The Penguin" and "The Helmet". I found the helmet to be the easier of the two. Drop down to the bottom to see what happened when we tried to put the helmet on one of the cat. (Spoiler: hilarity ensued)

Lenten Meditation-
Prayed for: AK, JP, SK-P, LK-P, LM 
Prayer Walk/Yoga-Walk in the sun listening again to the church bells of the Moravian Church in Nazareth.
Journal Topic with Ken- An exercise called, "My Mother's Heart".
Music- Piano.  
Fast- OK today.
Daily Office- MP was done in my office today due to a meeting, but the quiet was actually very invigorating and I felt very rooted for the rest of the day.  



2 comments:

  1. I feel so honored!!! I love you big sis! Thanks for my shout-out! I will teach you how to make a Crane! Legend has it all your dreams come true when you set a crane on a cat's head! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I knew it! I think that we will try it with Horatio next time.

    ReplyDelete