Monday, March 28, 2011

Day Eight-Seven- 3/28/11 Listen to a Hip-Hop Lenten Meditation

Day Eighty-Seven: 3/28/11
New Thing: Listen to a Hip-Hop Lenten Meditation       
Inspiration: DJARM 18, Lent      
Cost: $0
Time: About 18 mins.              
Bottom Line: Really made me think about how hard it can be to leave some choices behind.


Reflection: As you may remember, I am blessed to have a DJ as a friend. (I know-- it instantly brings up my "cool-factor" by 100 points). Andrew (also know as DJARM 18) has his own blog called "Spins of the Father" where he writes about hip-hop and posts some of his own mixes. A few weeks ago, he posted a new mix called "ARM 18 Minutes of Funk-Lenten Sacrifice." I was instantly intrigued, but wanted to save it for a blog post (although, I must admit I did listen to a few minuets before I realized I wanted to save the rest of it.) I will warn you that this mix is rated NC-17 for language and adult content. But I used it today as part of my Noonday Prayers and was really struck by the way this mix highlights the struggles that we can have in giving up things that truly have holds over us, like addictions. Yet, when those choices are made, they are the ones which can transform a life forever. They can be places of new birth, new growth. I am also very curious about the what happens when the "profane" intersects with the "sacred" and this exercise certainly has feet in both worlds. I think that the season of Lent helps us to look at those places in our life which need to be changed, and gives us the time and space to do it--not over night--but 40 days. As we see in scripture, the number forty is used by God to represent a period change, testing, refining. This mix speaks to the truth of how hard that kind of change really is, and yet how worth it is to take God's lead and enter into that time of regeneration and reconciliation. Thanks, Andrew!

Lenten Meditation-

Prayed for: DAC & MC 
Prayer Walk/Yoga- Bike ride home from church & a wonderful evening walk with Delia and Ken to the park. There we played tag and watched a kite which was trapped in a tree flying happily in the wind. 
Journal Topic with Ken- An exercise called, "Eye-to-Eye".
Music- Piano--I am really hoping I make it to this tonight. I have a feeling my meeting tonight will be a long one.  
Fast- Off to a good start. I am realizing how much more achievable this during the week when things have a predictable flow to them.  
Daily Office- NP included this Lenten Jam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment