Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day Ninety- 3/31/11 Moses Bath Time

Day Ninety: 3/31/11
New Thing: Moses Bath Time        
Inspiration: Moses, Church, Delia      
Cost: $0
Time: About 30 mins.              
Bottom Line: Delia loves giving those Israelites water from the rock.

Delia strikes the rock
Reflection: At church on Sunday, we heard many stories from the scriptures about how God has quenched the thirst of his people throughout all time. One of those stories was Moses being led by God to strike a rock in the desert with his rod to bring forth gushing water for the thirsty Israelites in Exodus 17. In her nursery Sunday School class, Delia studied this story and brought home a little parent's guide from the "Living the Good News" curriculum. One one side, it had an illustration of the story and on the other was a little activity suggestion called, "Moses Bath Time" which I used tonight with Delia during her bath time.

We started by looking at the picture and I asked her to tell me what was happening in it. She answered right away; "That's Moses and there are some people with water." I was pretty thrilled that she knew it was Moses without any prompt at all (props to Ellyn!).  So, I read her the story from Exodus and then told her that she was going to be Moses for the night. She was thrilled. She put on her towel like Moses' rob, placed a washcloth on her face for a beard, used a long handled bath brush as her rod and stood by the edge of the empty tub. I pretended to be the Israelites and yelled for some water. Delia/Moses raised her hand in the air with her staff and cried, "God, we need water!" And God replied, "Strike the rock with your staff!"  Then Delia/Moses hit the faucet and the water gushed forth filling up the tub. She loved it! She kept wanting to rehearse the scene over and over again taking all of the parts. I also taught her the Spiritual, "Go Down Moses" which she also enjoyed. I am looking forward to next week's Sunday School idea. 

Lenten Meditation-  
Prayed for: KAR & DER 
Prayer Walk/Yoga- Light stretches after spin class.
Journal Topic with Ken- An exercise called, "My Father's Heart."
Music- Piano.  
Fast-Better today.
Daily Office- NP had another discernment exercise from "Living into the Questions." It was a very helpful little section about identifying our core values and choosing which ones would be the best to hold as an guide throughout the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment