Monday, March 14, 2011

Day Seventy-Three- 3/14/11 Listen to Pi on Pi Day

Day Seventy-Three: 3/14/11
New Thing: Listen to Pi on Pi Day      
Inspiration: Pi Day and Ken      
Cost: $0 
Time: About 3 minuets.       
Bottom Line: Cool--but in a dorky way.

Reflection: Today is Pi Day--the day commemorating the mathematical constant π (pi). Pi Day is celebrated on March 14 (or 3/14 in month/day date format), since 3, 1 and 4 are the three most significant digits of π in the decimal form. I was at a loss at how to commemorate this day since I am trying to stay away from sweets for Lent and making a pie is one of the best ways to celebrate this holiday. However, Ken heard an interesting interview on NPR about a person putting pi into musical format by assigning notes to different numbers and suggested it to me for today. Perfect!

Larry Shaw, the founder of Pi Day. The so called "Prince of Pi." Seriously, is this not exactly what you might have imagined the founder of "Pi Day" would look like?
This web-site takes it even a step further and lets you decided which key to build your pi scale, or lets you assign random notes to numbers. I found that the random notes actually sounds the most melodic. Give it a try!

Lenten Meditation- 
Prayed for: DL (I am really liking the drawing meditation for each person. It helps me focus and gives me something tangible to send the ones I love).
Prayer Walk/Yoga- I plan to walk around the historic section of Bethlehem. 
Journal with Ken- Fill in Blanks
Music-30 mins. with the piano--today I am trying out hymns. 
Fast- Moderation continues. Fortunately, the devious animal crackers are gone which should make it easier. Unfortunately, they are gone becuase I helped to eat them :(

No comments:

Post a Comment