Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 114- 4/25/11 Planting the Vegetable Garden & Trying out Weed-Cloth

Day 114: 4/25/11
New Thing: Planting the Vegetable Garden & Trying out Weed-Cloth
Inspiration: Gardening, Dad        
Cost: $10 
Time: 3.5 hours                 
Bottom Line: Hopeful, this will mean a better harvest with fewer weeds.

My hands really did look like this.
Reflection: Today I planted the seedlings that I had started way back on the Feast of the Annunciation (see post here). They have all done really well thanks to the new methods that I learned with Randall at Gardening School (see post here) and the seed systems he provided. I planted several different kinds of lettuce, squash, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, egg plant, and tons of great herbs (again, thanks to Randall!). Everything is from organic seed. I am so excited for harvest. 

This year I am trying out something different upon Dad's suggestion: weed cloth. Weed cloth is a fabric that is used to help keep weeds at bay but lets water, air and light in. It took a while to put down, but by all accounts, this stuff works well in high-density vegetable gardens where you are trying to grow food without using chemical herbicides or spending tons of time weeding. I hope this works!

No comments:

Post a Comment