Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 106- 4/17/11 Palm Sunday Easter Baking & Paschal Butter Lamb

Day 106: 4/17/11
New Thing: Palm Sunday Easter Baking & Paschal Butter Lamb
Inspiration: Easter           
Cost: ???
Time: Several hours of shopping and cooking              
Bottom Line: Yummy!


 Reflection: As you may remember from previous posts, I have never been much of a baker. However, I wanted to try a few traditional recipes for Easter this year that I have never had the pleasure of having fresh from the oven: hot-cross buns and Braided Easter Egg Bread. In fact, I had never ever had the later (say that five times fast.) So, Delia and I went to the store to get the ingredients and after she had gone to bed, I stared baking up a storm. Easter Egg Bread is traditionally made on Maunday Thursday, and hot-cross buns on Good Friday. However, those are two of the busiest days of the year for me, so I had to do this early. Perhaps it will be our tradition to make these on Palm Sunday instead since we contemplate the crucifixion on this Holy Day as well.

They turned out to be really good and I had a piece of the bread and two of the eggs for breakfast. I have a feeling that these baked goods will be nourishing us through this entire Holy Week, much like Communion bread.

In related Easter food news, Delia and I found two things yesterday that were staples for Easter in my household growing up: chocolate crosses and a Paschal Butter Lamb. I have not been able to find the butter lamb for years, so I was thrilled to introduce her to this. Seriously, we made a scene in the store with high-fives and the works.

Yes! Paschal Butter Lamb!

Lenten Meditation-   
Prayed for: JF
Prayer Walk/Yoga- Walk 
Journal Topic with Ken- Ken feel asleep before I was done in the kitchen :( 
Music- Lots of singing in church.   
Fast- Good- except for trying out the baked goods- but that had to be done! :)   
Daily Office- EP while waiting for dough to rise. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed, but when did you become Suzy Homemaker? Baking, sewing, crafting? WHO ARE YOU? You must be a wonderful wife!

    ReplyDelete