Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 164: 6/14/11 Read Action Comics #1

Day 164: 6/14/11
New Thing:
Read Action Comics #1 
Inspiration: Ken
Cost: $0 (No surprise, Ken had a re-print of this already)
Time: About 5 minuets                 
Bottom Line: He can't fly or impress Lois, but he sure can jump!

Just park it anywhere.
Reflection: Today I read the iconic Action Comic #1 which has the first ever appearance of Superman! This was Ken's idea and I thought it was a great one since Superman is my favorite super hero. It was first published in 1938. Here is a good little video about this comic:



As it mentions, this older version of the classic hero is a little different.  I find that in most comics from this era, there are normally things that are funny that are not intentionally that meant to be that way. For example, in one panel, Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter, is making his way through the offices of the Daily Planet. Suddenly, a fellow reporter (who for some unexplained reason looks EXACTLY like Clark) yells to him, "Hurry Kent--a phoned tip....wife-beating at 211 Court Ave!" To which Clark replies, "I'm on my way!" Now, why the person supplying this tip didn't, say, call the police instead of the press is never explored, but rest assured, Superman knew how to handle the guy.  Pow! Right in the kisser! My hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment