Day 156: 6/6/11
New Thing: Try Outdoor Fitness
Inspiration: Book: Tina Vindum's Outdoor Fitness
Cost: $6 (used)
Time: About an hour
Bottom Line: I really did find this refreshing and am looking forward to seeing how the plan progresses.
Reflection: As many of you know, I have been an avid gym user for several years now (actually, since high school) and enjoy having a place to go and exercise--especially the classes that are offered. However, it is not really friendly on the wallet or on the environment (treadmills, for example, use a ton of energy). So, in support of my new CREDO rule of life (in which I have pledged to save money to be a better steward of my families future and to live more sustainably), I have decided to suspend my gym membership for the summer.
One of the things that I am trying out in it's place is a new workout routine and philosophy developed by Tina Vindum in her book Outdoor Fitness. She has alot of great exercises and ideas for doing a gym like workout in your environment as well as honoring nature and the spirit within each of us. She has very good scientific data to support her claims that working outdoor will lead to improved fitness levels and a more peaceful state of mind. I enjoyed my first workout which I did running around the town and in a local playground and think that it really will be enjoyable and challenging as it progresses. At the very least, it will get me outdoors even more which is one of the places which I experience God all around me.

No comments:
Post a Comment