Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 168: 6/18/11 Run a 10K Race--and Take the Sliver!

Day 168: 6/18/11
New Thing:
Run a 10K Race--and Take the Sliver!  
Inspiration: Damon S. Young
Cost: $15 (All Funds Went to the DSY Memorial Scholarship)
Time: Under An Hour                
Bottom Line: Still in a state of surprise


Reflection: Today was a day that I have been preparing for for months--my first ever 10K. It was very meaningful to me because it celebrates the memory of Damon S. Young. Here is the race information:
 
The Damon Steele Young Memorial Race is comprised of a 5K Walk/Run & 10K Run. It is an annual event that was established in 2007 to fund the Damon Steele Young Memorial Scholarship at Tunkhannock Area High School. This scholarship was created to honor the life of our son, brother, uncle, and friend, Damon. At the age of 24, he tragically passed away from kidney cancer. When he was very sick, he expressed a desire that a scholarship be established in his memory to help future TA grads further their educations. As a means to fund this scholarship, Damon's coach Randy White and others (like my brother-in-law, Doug) created this race. 

Damon was in my class ever since 5th grade and he was actually the first boy I ever kissed. He was a wonderful person and he is still greatly missed. 

Damon was also a tremendous athlete (he was voted "most athletic" in our Senior year) and so this course was designed to match his athleticism. It was the hardest run I have ever attempted and I had to walk up some of the hills. But the end was really exciting and I even had some really important people to me there to cheer me on (Kelly, Cassie, Ali, Doug, Mom and Delia!). The most surprising part was that I won the silver medal in my age group (women age 20-29)! What??!! Granted, I think there may have only been like 5 people in that group--but I like to believe it was because it was such a hard course that others were to intimidated. That's what I would like to believe with all my heart.

Thanks for all the support, everyone. We miss you, Damon.

Putting on Lucky #7
Team K-A
Sliver, Baby!
Post-Race Water Break

No comments:

Post a Comment