Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 162: 6/12/11 Pentecostal Power Yoga Poses

Day 162: 6/12/11
New Thing:
Pentecostal Power Yoga Poses
Inspiration: Pentecost
Cost: $0
Time: About 15 minuets                  
Bottom Line: These really were a kenosis aide.

The Fire of Pentecost!
Reflection: Today is the great Day of Pentecost! On this day, we commemorate the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus as described in Acts 2:1-31. For this reason, Pentecost is sometimes described as the "Birthday of the Church". We had a great celebration today at church which truly was an expression of the Spirit!

Typically, I schedule the "new things" that I am planning on trying out a month in advance so that I have some ideas at the beginning of the day.  However, in keeping with the theme of Pentecost, I decided to leave this day open and trust that the Holy Spirit would place something in my path. Well, as expected, the Spirit came through and while I was surfing online, I came across this link to some transformitive yoga poses that I have never tried. (you can find them here.) You may remember that I love yoga and consider it a way to meditate as well as exercise. So, I was particularly excited to see these six poses which were designed by yogi Mandy Ingber, as she describes it, to

...push the envelope a little. [We were encourage to] try to allow our bodies to go a little farther than you thought possible, and notice what happens to your mind, as you metamorphosis and literally transform. 

[I particularly liked her explanation of the need to push ourselves at times as she wrote:] I, like most people, am a feel-good junkie. Why else would I be attracted to a job where I am paid to wear comfortable clothes, wear no make up and lead people who are taking a time out to care for themselves...This is the "yoga" that we all imagine, right? Hugs and sitting peacefully in a cross-legged position with no earthly desires. But make no mistake, in order to truly transcend, the very darkness we resist, must be embraced. The part of ourselves that wants to be comfortable must die and be replaced with the part of ourselves that demands growth. There is no growth without change and there is no change without discomfort.

Mandy's thoughts here are very in keeping with the Christian theological view of "Kenosis"This is a Greek word meaning "emptiness. " We see Paul using this word in Philippians 2:7 when he writes that, "Jesus made himself nothing ...". Paul is describing kenosis as a concept of the 'self-emptying' of one's own will and becoming entirely receptive to God and His perfect will. It is used both as an explanation of the Incarnation, and an indication of the nature of God's activity and will. I find that yoga and exercise helps me to empty myself of the stress and thoughts that separate me from true prayer-fullness. And when I take the time to push myself a little bit, I am able to get to that state a little easier. in this way, I am able to let go of my own ego and let Christ increase by making a space for the Holy Spirit to fill my soul (again to paraphrase Paul). Theses moves were challenging and I certainly did not achieve all of them. But they did quiet my mind and I felt calmer at for having pushed mind, body and soul a little further.

No comments:

Post a Comment