New Thing: Celebrate the Summer Solstice by Setting Fire to Disappointments
Inspiration: The Summer Solstice, 365 Things You Can Do Blog
Cost: $0
Time: About an Hour
Bottom Line: A Midsummer's Dream
Reflection: Today marks the summer solstice--the longest day of the year. The celebration of Midsummer's Eve was from ancient times linked to the summer solstice. Bonfires were lit to protect against evil spirits which were believed to roam freely when the sun was turning southwards again. So, to make the occasion tonight, I decided to set fire to my own "little demons"--disappointments. We all have these little drains on our psyche that seem to keep us from truly letting go of somethings. Well, today I resolved to stop letting disappointments from the past bring me down and hand them over to God once and for all. I started by making a list of these things on separate pieces of paper. Next, I would light them on fire. As they burned I did a yoga sun salutation as a way of physical prayer by letting go of the past and welcoming the Holy Spirit into the now. It was a very refreshing experience and I was left with a spirit of gratitude towards God's work in my life that I did not start the exercise with.
![]() |
| Sun Salutations on the Day of the Longest Sun |


No comments:
Post a Comment