Day 21: 1/21/13 - Celebrate MLK Day & President Obama
New Thing- Watch the Inaugural Address and MLK's "I have a Dream" Speech with Little D. and Sign the President's Gun Control Petition
Inspiration: MLK Day, The Inaugural Address
Time: About 40 mins. all together.
Bottom Line: Amazingly Inspirational
Reflection: Tonight, Little D. and I watched two very inspirational speeches from two of the finest orators in modern history. We started with President Obama's inaugural address. D. was way to little to remember watching his first one, but she was actually very interested in today's speech. I though it was excellent and very motivational. So motivational, in fact, that I signed his gun-control petition right afterward. (You can find the petition here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/preventing-gun-violence). I loved the way he gave homage to the past, but called us to live responsibly and honorably in our time as our duty to our nation's future.
Then we watched the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous "I have a Dream Speech" which brought at least one tear to my eye. (You may remember that I listened to King's "The Drum Major Instinct" sermon two years ago which I highly recommend! You can listen to it here.) It gave D. and I a really good chance to talk about the evil of racism, how far we have come in America, and how far we still have to go. I am very proud to be an American tonight!


No comments:
Post a Comment