Day 134: 5/15/11
New Thing: Book Club Reviews Sliverlock
Inspiration: My Book Club (esp. Leslie)
Cost: Under $20
Time: Several Hours
Bottom Line: I found this to be an enjoyable read.
Reflection: I am really lucky to be in a fun book club with several of my friends. It was started by my good friend for college, Lauren and we try to challenge each other by choosing books outside of each-others' normal genre choices. This month's book was Sliverlock a novel by John Myers Myers (I have no idea why he has the same middle and last name) published in 1949. The novel's settings and characters, aside from the protagonist, are all drawn from history, mythology, and other works of literature. Here is wikipedia's description: "While on a sea voyage, A. Clarence Shandon's ship founders and he is washed ashore in a fictional land known as "The Commonwealth of Letters". He is befriended by Golias, who nicknames him "Silverlock" and who becomes his guide. Silverlock and Golias encounter figures from history, literature and mythology." It reminded me alot of Gulliver's Travels and I did enjoy it. However, there were times when I had to look up some of the literary references which were less then obvious in the glossary found in the Companion version of the book and that did slow down the story at times.

No comments:
Post a Comment