Day 229: 8/18/11
New Thing: Watch The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Documentary
Inspiration: Randomly Turning on the TV New Thing: Watch The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Documentary
Cost: $0
Time: 101 minuets
Bottom Line: This really had me musing about creation and reconciliation.
Reflection: I did something today that I never do--randomly turn on the TV. This is very rare for me since we didn't even have TV until the service turned it back on unbenounced to us a few weeks ago. I ended up falling right into a fascinating documentary about the Disney musical duo: The Sherman Brothers. Here is the trailer and the description:
Songwriting brothers Robert and Richard Sherman -- who penned scores for Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book and many other hit musicals -- may have specialized in family-friendly entertainment, but they did not share a friendly family relationship. Despite their professional partnership, their personal bond was so strained that their sons grew up never knowing each other. This intriguing documentary explores the peculiar story behind the musical duo.
This was a really fascinating movie of contrasts. One brother was all sunshine and jokes, another seemed to be harboring demons from his time in WWII. One was a sentimentalist and one was a romantic. They could not even stand to socialize with each other outside of the studio, and yet they produced so many of the best loved songs from Disney movies.
Two of the themes that I continued to think about was reconciliation and creation. Their best work seemed to be born out of the tensions and friction of their relationship. Like everything else in this world, true creation has to come from some brokenness- like plowing a field. The brothers never seemed to find reconciliation, but their sons, who were not allowed to see each other, found it through making this film together.
All in all, this film was very captivating and I recommend it.

No comments:
Post a Comment