Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day 235: 8/24/11- Celebrate Strange Music Day

Day 235: 8/24/11
New Thing:
Celebrate Strange Music Day    
Inspiration: Strange Music Day  
Cost: $0
Time: About 30 minuets surfing the web looking for music                                      
Bottom Line: There is some strange, yet cool, stuff out there.


Reflection: Today is Strange Music Day. Here is the description:

Strange Music Day was started by Patrick Grant, a Julliard graduate and professional musician.  Patrick is also the founder and artistic director of Strange Music Inc., an organization dedicated to releasing recordings and presenting compelling new work.The purpose of Strange Music Day is to listen to music you have never heard before, just for the heck of it.  This is especially fun with children, since it gives you the opportunity to introduce new music to them.

To celebrate, I spent more time then I should have on the interwebs looking for new kinds of music. Here are some of my favorites from oddmusic.com: 

I kind of want one of these now. 


The musical Sea Organ (morske orgulje) is located on the shores of Zadar, Croatia, and is the world’s first musical pipe organs that is played by the sea. Simple and elegant steps, carved in white stone, were built on the quayside. Underneath, there are 35 musically tuned tubes with whistle openings on the sidewalk. The movement of the sea pushes air through, and – depending on the size and velocity of the wave – musical chords are played. The waves create random harmonic sounds.

Fast Update: As you may remember, I had set a goal for this fast of 21 days which would have ended on Monday. However, I have decided to continue until the end of Ramadan on the 31st since this has been such a great experience. I have really found a daily rhythm of prayer that has felt very organic and I am so much more aware of my eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment