Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day 227: 8/16/11- New Book and Running in the Rain

Day 227: 8/16/11
New Thing:
New Book and Running in the Rain   
Inspiration: Ken
Cost: $? (Ken bought it)
Time: 40 minuets for the run and 30 minuets for the book.                                   
Bottom Line: Wet from head to toe.


Reflection: Way back in January, I went running in the snow. Today I did the summer version by running in the rain. This was unintentional since I actually got caught in the storm rather than seeking out this opportunity. The run started out being pleasant, especially since I love being in the rain. However, but the end of the run, it was pouring and I had to head back since I could no longer see.  I may have also broken my I-pod miles counter sensory thingy which bums me out.

I also read one of Rick Geary's new graphic novels; The Terrible Axe-Man of New Orleans. If you are not familiar with his work, here is a good review:

Geary continues his portrayals of historical murder cases with this depiction of a series of slayings that occurred in New Orleans in 1918–19, when a half-dozen victims, mostly Italian grocers and their families, were killed in their homes with their own axes. After setting the scene with a brief history of the Crescent City, Geary chronicles the murder spree in a straightforward, documentary-style fashion—almost entirely eschewing dialogue in word balloons in favor of lengthy captions—that desensationalizes the potentially lurid material. His painstaking research comes into play not only with his meticulous re-creation of the individual crimes and the city’s panicked reaction but in the visual depiction of the period’s cultural trappings, from clothing styles to architectural details. Geary’s archly antiquated drawing style is ideally suited for bringing bygone eras to vivid, convincing life. The murder spree was never solved, although a coda posits a possible culprit. Geary’s exacting, historically accurate approach makes this—as well as his other nonfiction works—a natural for true-crime fans as well as comics lovers. --Gordon Flagg

It really isn't all gore and the macabre. It is actually like reading a really well researched look at that time period. It reads like a history book.

No comments:

Post a Comment