New Thing: First Time at One of Those Really Big Kids' Birthday Parties
Inspiration: Delia and her little school friends
Cost: $0
Time: About two hours
Bottom Line: I desperately needed a nap by the end of it, but we all had a very good time.
![]() | ||||
| Delia like the huge slide the best. |
The party was even larger then we had imagined boasting over 30 children and their accompanying parents. There was not one, but two themes: Princess and Star Wars. At first Delia was pretty overwhelmed but warmed up after a few trips with Ken and I down the huge slide. We left with a huge party bag, a sugar rush, a need for a nap, and a very satisfied little girl. I had definitely hit my extroverted quote for the day since this followed two church services. However, we made some great new friends and had a great time.
This party was certainly a first for me. I can remember exactly two birthday parties thrown in my honor by my parents growing up and they were certainly not the kind of "event" parties where you rent out a place. I was not really a "party person" as a child so, this was not traumatic for me. The first was a joint party with my best friend and childhood neighbor, Kelly, as we turned 3 and 4 respectively. (Our birthdays are only a year a few days apart.) It was at Kelly's house and we had cute little tables in her basement decorated in primary colors. I remember it being really sunny and bright and that the elastic on my hat broke and snapped my chin.
The second party was when I was in 4th grade. Since my birthday is in October, it was decided that it would be "fall/Halloween" themed extravaganza. By that I mean that Mom put up orange and black streamers and called it a "theme." Four friends were invited and it was to be my first and last sleep over party. Again, this was alright by me because I had insomnia growing up and it always seemed to make being awake in the middle of the night all the more lonely when there are others sleeping soundly all around you. (Note for a sermon- Perhaps this is a microcosm of what Jesus was feeling when his disciples kept falling asleep on him when he was in the garden praying before his crucifixion.)
Apparently, this kind planning was in keeping with the Dowling family tradition for birthday parties. My Dad loves to tell the tale of his seventh birthday party where he and his twin brother Darryl were allowed to invite 7 friends to drive 7 miles to the party site where they open 7 gifts. I believe the theme of that party was also "fall/Halloween."
But, no, Ali and I never had that kind of huge "event" party as children. To be fair, there were very few options in rural Pennsylvania. There were a few at the local McDonald's and one at a not-so-local roller-rink, but that was it. Yet, my birthdays were always filled with love, my favorite foods (spaghetti with Prego sauce and ice cream cake), and my family. Those memories and the ones that I continue to make on my birthdays now are better then a whole warehouse of big bouncy things. Although, they are really, really cool. Maybe that is what I will do for this year's birthday.

I feel I should point out that the themes specifically were Princesses and DARTH VADER. Which meant that they had a pink cake, and one with grey frosting (yum!). And all the boys got Darth Vader masks, and they had a Darth Vader pinata. I dunno, but something about the Sleeping Beauty/ Sith Lord juxtaposition was pretty odd.
ReplyDelete