Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day Twenty Seven- 1/27/11 Tasting Inca Kola

Day Twenty Seven: 1/27/11
New Thing: Tasting Inca Kola
Inspiration: Randall
Cost: $0
Time: The time it takes to have one swig
Bottom Line: I have not acquired this acquired taste.


Not my new favorite drink.
When we visited my in laws for Christmas, Randall handed us two Inca Kolas to take home and try. He is truly a world traveler and always has something really cool in his fridge or in his office from all over the globe, so we happily took the cans of exotic soda. They have been sitting in our fridge ever since, and today I thought I would give it a shot. I had never even heard of this drink before, so I honestly had no idea what to expect. I was hoping for ginger beer--I got liquid bubble gum crossed with cream soda. It was kind of gross.

After my first taste, I went online to learn more about this weird drink (which by the way was bright neon yellow--even odder than Mt. Dew).

According to Wikipedia, Inca Kola "is a soft drink created in Peru in 1935...the soda has an unusual sweet fruity flavor sometimes compared to liquid bubblegum. It has been described as "an acquired taste" whose "intense color alone is enough to drive away the uninitiated. " But my favorite were some of their slogans. Here are a few of the best:

  • 2001-2003: Hay una sola y el Perú sabe por qué (There is only one, and Peru knows why). It's like they are being punished for some unspeakable crime.
  • 2006: Qué buena idea (What a good idea). Is it?
  • 2007: El sabor de la creatividad (The taste of creativity).
  • 2008-2009: Con creatividad todo es posible (With creativity anything is possible).
  • 2010: Inca Kola Eso 75 años (Inca Kola is 75 years old).
I just love that they celebrated their creativity from 2006-2009 and then came up with what is perhaps the least creative slogan for their 75th anniversary. I don't know what you did, Peru, but you know why there is only one Inca Kola.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, if anyone's interested in tasting this for themselves, the open can is still in our fridge.

    ReplyDelete