Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day Twenty Five- 1/25/11 Do Nothing For Two Minuets

Day Twenty Five: 1/25/11
New Thing: Do Nothing For Two Minuets
Inspiration: A never ending quest for a peaceful spirit and mind.
Cost: $0
Time: Two Minuets
Bottom Line: It is really nice to sit and do nothing for a little bit of time.


Reflection: Today, I saw this link on a friend's Facebook status: http://www.donothingfor2minutes.com/.

It takes you to a two minute countdown in which you are instructed to do nothing for the entirety of that time. It even has a nice ocean picture and wave sound effects. The catch is that if you touch the computer, it starts the countdown all over again.

At first I though, "Surly, I have done this before." Yet, when I really thought about it, I am not sure that I have done that in a really long time. Sure, there are plenty of moments when I waste time surfing the web or watching a show. But that could not technically be considered "nothing." And "doing nothing" is not even the same thing as engaging in something like yoga or Centering Prayer which is a style of meditation that helps to clear the mind of all distraction to open a path way to the Holy. I do not think that anyone could call that "nothing." (In fact, I find Centering Prayer to be a very difficult practice.) I still think that there are plenty of times when I do nothing, but not in such an intentional way or during work. Often, when I feel stressed at work, I normally pray, or take a walk, or switch tasks. But sitting and doing nothing for two minutes sounded like a simplistic and non-taxing way to hit the "reset button" so-to-speak. So, I clicked on the link and enjoyed the two free minutes.

It was great. It was not so long as to be disruptive to my workload, but it was long enough that I was able to breath and let out go of some of the anxiety of the moment. I did it again 15 minuets later and enjoyed it all over again. I have now bookmarked it so I can keep this little exercise up.

Go a head and try it. It will only take two minuets.

No comments:

Post a Comment