Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day Ten- 1/10/11 Start Training for a 10K


Day Ten: 1/10/11
New Thing: Start Training for a 10K
Inspiration: I have done a 1 mile race and two 5Ks- now I want to take it to the next level.
Cost: Free
Time: about 40 mins
Bottom Line: Never though I would be doing this.

Reflection: As many of you know, I exercise pretty regularly. It helps me keep my sanity and I can always tell when I haven’t worked-out for a day or two. However, up until two years ago, there was a type of exercise that I refused to do—running. I could not stand running. “You never see a happy runner!” I was often heard to say when ever we would pass one on the road. (Sometimes it scares me when I hear my father’s phrases coming out of my own mouth.) But when my gym started a running club that was designed to train new runners to take part in a 5K, my husband suggested that I give it a try. I tried it and definitely saw an improvement in my running abilities. In fact I finished that race with a pretty decent time.  So, now that I have a few races under my belt, I thought that I would give a 10K a shot.

My goal is to beat his time.
I am using a 12 week training plan which uses a mixture of weight training, cross training (I do a lot of Spin classes for this part), speed intervals, and—of course—running. I would now call my feeling toward running less hatred and more of a tolerance with a side of accomplishment and just a dash relief when it is over. I have to say that already having this goal is paying off. The day following this post, I was very tempted to skip the 6am Spin class, but having the 10K training helped to get me out of bed.

4 comments:

  1. Exactly how I feel about running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU can do it Hill!!!!! Having a goal and a training plan is key. I am soooooooo proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I ran cross country in college, I used to fantasize, mid race, of feigning injury just to get out of finishing! haha! Our coach always used to tell us "the faster you run, the sooner you're done..."
    The finish line is a glorious place to be...I am so happy that you're taking this challenge! Let me know if I can help with your training!
    love,
    the sweet toothed and kind-of-recently sloth personal trainer from gold's gym Bethlehem :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! This support is so helpful and I have made "the faster you run, the sooner you're done" my new moto!

    ReplyDelete