Monday, January 24, 2011

Day Twenty Four- 1/24/11 Start a "Bucket List"

Day Twenty Four: 1/24/11
New Thing: Create a "Bucket List"
Inspiration: The human condition and being a finite creature
Cost: $0
Time: About an hour
Bottom Line: I have a whole lot to do before I kick the bucket.


Reflection: For today's new thing I decided to make a list of things that I would like to do before I die or a "bucket list." Now, I am really not a fan of this term because of the awful movie of the same title. However, I do think that the practice of setting goals and dreaming large is a fruitful one. The problem for me is that once I started, I couldn't stop. There are just so many things about this world that I would love to experience. In fact, I have almost 60 things on the list so far, and I do not consider it finished. But, I also began to think about the wonderful things in my life that have already happened to me and how very thankful I am for already living a full life. I can honestly say that if I passed on to my eternal rest and reward tomorrow, it could be said that I had lead a blessed life filled with loved ones, health, and rich experiences.  For all this I am truly grateful. So, I also started a "things that I have already done that would have been on my 'bucket list' list." For the purposes of this reflection, I will list the top five things on both lists. 

Top 5 Things That Would Have Been on my Bucket List
  1. Feel God's presence, know Jesus as my Savior, try to follow the Holy Spirit and share God's love with others.
  2. Have a loving and strong marriage with my best friend, Ken.
  3. Be lucky enough to be the mother of a healthy and sweet little girl, Delia
  4. Being an ordained priest in God's Holy Catholic Church
  5. Getting to marry my little Sister, Ali to her wonderful husband, my bother-in-law, Doug
Top 5 Things That I Would Like to do Before I Kick the Bucket 
  1. See the Aurora Borealis
  2. Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro 
  3. Hike the Appalachian Trail
  4. Earn a ThD
  5. Visit all 58 National Parks

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I am on your "Already in the Bucket" List!
    I have thought about this before and I am chuckling to myself because I am sooo much more materialistic than you!
    5. Own a hot convertable (and a garage to keep it in)
    4. Own a house on a lake with a dock
    3.Grow Old with Doug
    2. Have an One person Art Exhibit
    1.Go on a cruise!

    Now- these are not in correct order and there are many more. It is hard to prioritize these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... now you have me thinking...
    my list:
    -visit Holland, Sweden, and Denmark
    -become a bee keeper
    -go skydiving
    -learn to sew clothing (the right way)
    -spend an entire summer at the beach with my family

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Goddard called it a “Life List” He started his list when he was a teenager and it had about 130 goals he wanted to achieve in his lifetime. Do a search on him what he actually accomplished is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have one in common:

    1. go skydiving with my brother
    2. hike the AT, maine to georgia, all in on go
    3. learn to sing the blues
    4. travel with Andrew to see places of worship/baseball stadiums
    5. finish college

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aurora Borealis! At this time of day, in this part of the country, entirely localized in your kitchen?!?

    ReplyDelete