Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day Twenty Three- 1/23/11 True Grit/First Westen on the Big Screen

Day Twenty Three: 1/23/11
New Thing: True Grit/First Western on the Big Screen
Inspiration: My Dad, The Duke
Cost: $20 ($10 per ticket)
Time: About Two Hours
Bottom Line: This was a great movie--two thumbs up!


Reflection: Thanks to my mother-in-law, Connie, who graciously offered to babysit the wee one (thanks, Nana!), Ken and I were able to go out on a date tonight! We decided to see the latest Coen Brother's movie, True Grit. I am a big fan of both the Coens and Westerns, so this was a movie that I was really looking forward to this. It did not disappoint. 

The Duke would be pleased
True Grit is an adaptation of the book by the same name by Charles Portis. It was also a famous John Wayne film, so the Coen Brothers had a long history to contend with then they decided to take on this re-vamping of the story. They wisely decided to make this a straight Western and even kept much of the dialogue from the novel. The story involves a teenage girl who hires a gruff, drunken marshal who is a man of "true grit" to help her track her father's killer and bring him to bloody justice.  The plot, which is not a story about redemption so much as a story about retribution, is riveting as are the actors who deliver fantastic performances.

It was great to finally get to see a Western on the big screen. My father, Dana, and I used to watch a lot of classic movies together (we actually went on a several month Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock marathon kick at one point) and Westerns were defiantly some of our favorites. But, they seem to have fallen out of fashion and I never got the chance to see on in theaters until now. In particular, Dad and I loved The Searchers, another film staring "The Duke." So, Dad, go out and see this one, you will love it. And think of me when you do.

Heads up- you will be grossed out by the snakes.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's about redemption in a big way. That final scene, which I don't want to spoil if anyone hasn't seen it. That movie was one of the best I've seen in a long while, and the best I've seen in a theater in a really, really long while.

    It's par for the course for the Coen Brothers. They have never made a bad movie. They've made some that were not great, but none that were bad.

    ReplyDelete