Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day Twenty- 1/20/11 Start a New Habit: Walking to Work


Day Twenty: 1/20/11
New Thing:  Start a New Habit: Walking to Work
Inspiration: Delia, my workout schedule and the environment
Cost: $0
Time: 50 minutes
Bottom Line: I think that I will definitely love this until the summer.


Reflection: About three weeks ago, I decided that I would also like to do at least one small thing every month during this project to help reduce my carbon footprint and to practice good environmental stewardship. Today, I made my first environmentally friendly change of the year—I have decided to walk to work at least two-three times a week. I loved it and felt very energized by the time I got there—even if my i-pod froze after only one block. (Blerg!)

This new habit actually solves a problem for me as well (lest you think I was totally altruistic). Before Delia began pre-school, I was able to spend two hours at the gym at least twice a week before work started. I really looked forward to those workout days to help start the day out with a big surge of exercised-induced endorphins. Not to mention the extra hours to help add to the 10k training. But since we only have one car, I have had cut out that extra hour in order to be back at the house in time to shower and to get her out to Allentown. But if I walk to work those days and Ken graciously drives her to school, then I can take the time to walk into work and have a nice stretch-of-the-legs before Morning Prayer. Good for the body, mind, soul, and planet. That is like 4 birds with one stone. Nice. It will be even better if I ever save up enough money to get a bike (which I really do want in the very near future.) Maybe I need a paper-route.

2 comments:

  1. also a great way to enjoy the beauty of the city!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk to my sons and Farmer before you get the paper route!!!!!

    ReplyDelete