Monday, January 31, 2011

Day Thirty One- 1/31/11 New Zumba Class

Day Thirty One: 1/31/11
New Thing: New Zumba Class 
Inspiration: Bonnie, Cassie, and Krista
Cost: $0 (Well, it is included in my gym membership, so it is not exactly free.)
Time: One hour
Bottom Line: This class was both a good physical exercise and a good exercise in humility. Because I cannot follow a dance routine.
You will notice that this is NOT a picture of me dancing.
 Reflection: Today I tied a new exercise class at my gym called Zumba. Zumba is a Latin fusion danced based class which is a lot of fun and burns a lot of calories. While it is true that I have actually tried Zumba a few times before, today was very different because there is a new instructor. This is important in a Zumba class because each instructor designs the routines. I had heard that she is a very high energy and leads a fun, fast class. What I was not prepared for was her bedazzled sweatpants, full "work-out" makeup and, belly shirt. I was beginning to worry that I may not be cool enough for this class. (Hard to believe, I know). My suspicions were confirmed by the second song when she said, "I took some of these moves form a Lady Gaga video."

And there went the the last drop of dignity I had left.

For those of who do not know, I do not have a lot of grace when it comes to dance routines.  I can manage the slow, semi-circle slow dancing when you simply shift from one foot to another, middle school dance style. And I can simply let lose and have a fun time on the dance floor. However, you could never call what I do graceful. My friend Bonnie who is a Zumba instructor has been a dancer her entire life. She is incredibly graceful and I have always been in awe of that, but never been able to emulate it.

For example, there was a time in college where a few of my floor mates and I decided to do an exercise video together. After getting only 5 minuets into the routine, we had to stop because they were literally  laughing so loudly that they could not breath. Krista said, "I never knew a step kick could look like that."

Yet, even though my moves always look as though I am Elaine from Seinfeld, I still enjoy a good class where I can have fun. Humbling as it is.


2 comments:

  1. zumba is a good time...except for all the mirrors in the darn 'classroom'!!! It totally ruins it for me..and I'm a classically trained ballet dancer!
    No one looks good doing these moves...unless they have practiced them over and over again (i.e- the teacher..and that's about it!) Somehow, I managed to take zumba all throughout my pregnancy...as well as the 2 weeks I was "overdue". I'm surprised my water didn't break all over the place...OLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I remember this! But, it's OK because 1) laughing burns calories, too and 2) any combination of bad step kicks is more effective, I'm sure, than doing sit-ups in your bed.

    ReplyDelete