Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day One- 1/1/11 Learn how to DJ or Two Turn Tables and a Microphone

Day One: 1/1/11
New Thing: Learn how to DJ
Teacher: DJARM18
Cost: $0
Time: About an hour and a half
Bottom Line: If a party dies, I can now resuscitate it.


Reflection: On New Year's Eve, DJARM18 took me to his studio to teach me the magic of spinning. What better way to ring in the New Year?! ARM has been DJ-ing for most of his life and is truly an artiest at it. He is also a professor of sociology who teaches classes on Hip-Hop, so he is an expert in the field.  (On top of all that he is my co-teacher in our Youth Sunday Forum and one of our best friends. Quiet the Renaissance man, no?) In his lesson, he taught me the basics, like how to spin, the history of DJ-ing, different philosophies of spinning, how to beat-match, how to scratch, how to read your crowd, and how to pick a DJ name (DJMoHill). When he was describing the importance of knowing your audience, it really reminded me of the importance of knowing your congregation when preaching. My final challenge was to DJ for 15 minuets and my greatest moment was when I changed from a Cure song to a NIN song with a scratch and a beat-match! OK- maybe I almost stopped his heart once or twice by dropping the needle. Thanks to his tutelage, I feel as though I could at least help a party keep hoping, although without the fineness of a true DJ, of course. I had an awesome time, yo! DJMoHill-out! (I promise that that is the last time I will write like that.)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha - this is great! I didn't think you could get any cooler until I read that you played music by both The Cure AND NIN. Pure awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete